How to Waterproof, Sunbrella®, Marine Canvas, boat tops, pontoon covers, boat covers, Bimini tops, and boat T tops:
1. Thoroughly clean your boat cover with FABRI-KLEAN® and allow to dry.
2. Spray on CANVAS SHIELD® waterproof spray and allow to dry, and cure.
It really is that easy. This step by step guide will show you how to clean and waterproof your marine canvas boat top and cover to like new.
Synthetic marine canvas fabrics such as Sunbrella, Top Notch, Top GunWeatherMax, Recacril, Outdura and Coast Guard and others, used for boat tops, boat covers, boat bimini tops, T tops, canvas covers, pontoon covers, awnings, convertible tops, sailboat dodgers are miracles of modern engineering and ingenuity. Modern waterproof boat covers and boat tops provide resistance to Rain, Stains, Soil, Mold, UV, pollution and Color Fade that natural fabrics such as cotton could never match. But, if they’re not properly cleaned, re-waterproofed and maintained, the surface finish quickly deteriorates and losesits protective benefits which can result in a leaky top or worse, a perfect culture for mold.
In this video, we’re going to show you the best, and easiest, way to clean Sunbrella type fabrics and waterproof your marine canvas boat bimini tops, pontoon covers, T tops, canvas covers, boat tops, boat covers, awnings, convertible tops, and sailboat dodgers with FABRI KLEAN® specialty marine canvas cleaner that is free rinsing and the new, advanced technology, CANVAS SHIELD® made with Drykon®, a proprietary, green and human friendly Nanoized Polymer™.
A bit of history: waterproof materials such as rubber sheet, PVC and plastic infused fabrics have been around for a while, but they are less than ideal for boat tops, sail covers, boat covers, boat bimini tops, T tops, canvas covers, pontoon covers, awnings, convertible tops, sailboat dodgers and others used in the marine or sports environment because they don’t breathe. They hold moisture and condensation which makes them uncomfortable when they come into contact with human skin and provide an ideal breeding ground for mold.
Cotton canvas has long been popular because although it wasn’t completely waterproof at least it would breathe and if the construction of the cover was pitched at a suitable angle, most of the rain water would run off, minimizing penetration. Wax was sometimes use to impregnate the fabric, but this changed the color and texture of the fabric and was a short lived solution that had to be replenished quite frequently. It’s also food for mold.
With the invention of synthetic woven fabrics that could breath, like Sunbrella, Top Notch, Top Gun WeatherMax, Recacril, Outdura and Coast Guard made from acrylics, polyester, PVC and other materials and blends, came the need for better waterproofing. PTFE or Teflon was the preferred material to waterproof these fabrics. It kept the rain out, was resistant to oil, stains and repeated washing yet would still allow the fabric to breath and was more durable than silicone and other waterproofing formulas.
One of the problems with PTFE and Teflon is that as it deteriorates it emits PFOA and PFOS and these materials are carcinogens. They cause cancer of the mammary glands, testicles, pancreas and liver. EPEA has recently discovered that 98% of all men, women and children is the USA have it in their blood and they are encouraging industry to find alternatives and discontinue the use of PTFE, PFOA and PFOS used in the manufacture of PTFE, especially where human contact is involved.
Another problem is that PTFE waterproofing sprays contain solvents that are high in VOC’s. (Volatile Organic Compounds). VOC’s are vapors or gasses that result from the spraying application of PTFE waterproofing sprays. They’re important in the creation of Smog, are a health hazard and migrate into the atmosphere and attack the earth’s protective Ozone Layer that protects the planet from destructive UV radiation. EPA regulates the amount of VOC’s that are allowed in order to reduce these harmful effects on humans and the planet.
Aurora Marine Industries invention of DRYKON®, a nanoized polymer, that is the active ingredient in CANVAS SHIELD® does not contain PTFE, Teflon® or Silicone, does not emit PFOA or PFOS and is low in VOC’s, yet it has many benefits over the best of traditional technologies:
• It’s easy to use; just spray CANVAS SHIELD® waterproof spray onto a clean and dry boat cover, bimini top, pontoon cover, sail cover, or any outdoor synthetic fabric and let it dry. Anyone can do it quickly and get professional results.
• You don’t even have to remove your marine canvas to clean and waterproof it. You can do it right on your boat or pontoon, even if it’s in the water. Cleaning and waterproofing your boat top or boat cover while it’s properly stretched over its frame reduces the chance of stretching or shrinking as it so often does when your remove it to clean and waterproof. Your marine canvas continues to fit even after it’s been treated. How’s that for convenience?
• It waterproofs as well as or better than the best, old technology waterproof sprays. No need to sacrifice performance to get a greener healthier product.
• CANVAS SHIELD® is durable. It lasts longer. It continues to waterproof after the surface treatment has worn off or has been washed off and after surface beading no longer occurs. This gives you peace of mind that if for whatever reason you can’t get to your boat for its recommended regular or annual boat cover or boat top cleaning and waterproofing, your boat remains protected longer, until you can get to it.
• It’s mold resistant and it penetrates deeper into the fabric, coating each thread, instead of just sitting on the surface. This resists mold from forming under the boat cover or boat top.It prevents mold from forming under sail covers and damaging your expensive sails. Your marine canvas and boat must still be kept clean, dry and well ventilated to prevent mold but having a mold resistant surface on your marine canvas gives you greater ability to fight mold from growing in the first place. You’ll maintain a cleaner, healthier boat with no extra effort on your part and prevent expensive, unnecessary replacements of sails, boat upholstery, boat covers and boat tops.
• CANVAS SHIELD® does not change the color, texture or feel of the fabric.Your marine canvas boat top, sailboat dodger or boat cover will be just as beautiful as the day you bought it. You’ll be proud of your boat.
• Regular cleaning with FABRI-KLEAN® and waterproofing with CANVAS SHIELD® can extend the useful life of your marine canvas by many years. This can save you a lot of money and inconvenience of tying up your boat while boat cover is being replaced. You’ll have more time to enjoy your boat and spend less time cleaning and repairing.
• CANVAS SHIELD® is the safer waterproof spray. It doesn’t contain PTFE, Teflon, Silicon, PFOA or PFOS. You don’t have to compromise your health and that of your family to get a dry boat. You can have a dry boat and healthy life style without a tradeoff.
• Just because your boat top or boat cover has started to leak, or is looking a little tired, doesn’t mean you have to spend thousands of dollars to replace it. As long as it still fits and is not torn or damaged; clean it with FABRI-KLEAN® and waterproof it with CANVAS SHIELD® and you can extend its life by many years. You’ll save a lot of money.
• CANVAS SHIELD® is environment friendly. It does not contain PTFE, Teflon, Silicone or PFOA and is low in VOC’s making it a green product. FABRI-KLEAN® is free rinsing and biodegradable so the water you flush into the lake won’t hurt it or the fish and other marine life. Now you can get superior protection for your marine canvas while still doing you part to prevent pollution and protect the planet.
In the following video, I’ll show you how quick and easy it is to clean and restore your marine canvas, boat cover, boat top, pontoon cover, sail cover, sailboat dodger, Bimini top, T top and other outdoor canvas products.
Video Story Line
How to Clean and Waterproof Boat Canvas Tops and Covers the Easy Way with FABRI-KLEAN® and CANVAS SHIELD®
Where ever there are boats, there’s marine canvas. It’s used on boat tops, sail covers, bimini tops, T tops, boat covers, and boat covers. Not only does it keep the inside of your boat dry but it makes your boat look fantastic.
Boat canvas is made of synthetic fabric that is water resistant and needs to be coated to make it waterproof. The big advantage is that it’s also breathable, allowing air to pass through and therefore making it more comfortable to humans and more resistant to mold formation.
But, it still needs to be kept clean and re-waterproofed from time to time otherwise it will leak and fade, and you will get mold growing on the inside of your cover.
In this video, we’re going to show you how quick and easy it is to clean a Sunbrella boat top with FABRI-KLEAN® and waterproof it with CANVAS SHIELD®.
A great benefit of CANVAS SHIELD® is that your boat top or boat cover can be cleaned and waterproofed while the canvas is still on the boat, saving you the inconvenience of removing and re-installing it. No need to remove the boat cover to clean and waterproof.
Before waterproofing marine canvas it’s important that the fabric is clean and dry. Fabric must be clean and dry before waterproofing.
Pollutants such as dirt, dust and soap scum act as conduits for water so spraying CANVAS SHIELD® on a dirty boat cover will only make it partially waterproof. It can still leak. Pollutants, dirt, soap scum will cause the canvas to leak.
We’re going to use FABRI-KLEAN® to clean this Sunbrella top. FABRI-KLEAN® is a special fabric cleaner that penetrates deep into the fabric to get out every imaginable type of dirt and grime and it’s free rinsing so there’s no residue to impair the function of CANVAS SHIELD®. FABRI-KLEAN® is green. The residue won’t harm the lake.
First, we’ll spray the top with water to remove any lose dirt. Now we can spray FABRI-KLEAN® onto the top. It’s water activated so it works best on a wet surface.
FABRI-KLEAN® is Safe. It won’t harm the canvas or the stitching.
Rinse it well and allow it to dry. Rinse Clean and Allow to Dry
We can now spray CANVAS SHIELD® onto the canvas and allow it to dry. Spray CANVAS SHIELD® directly out of the bottle or Apply with a garden sprayer.
You can spray CANVAS SHIELD® using the spray bottle on small tops and covers but it’s easier and more convenient to use a garden sprayer for bigger boat tops and boat covers. Garden Sprayers are easier to use and more convenient
When it’s dry, spray a second coat onto the Sunbrella. Apply a 2nd coat and allow to cure for 24 hours.
And allow it to cure for 24 hours. Prevent rain and moisture from wetting the top for 24 hours.
That was easy. Now this Sunbrella boat top is waterproof again.
CANVAS SHIELD® Does Not Change The Color, Texture Or Feel Of Your Marine Canvas And Still Allows It To Breathe.
CANVAS SHIELD® can last a whole year, or longer, before it needs to be re-applied. CANVAS SHIELD® Lasts One Year Or Longer With Proper Maintenance.
CANVAS SHIELD® is safe for you and your family. It does not contain any PTFE, Teflon, or PFOA’s that can cause cancer and it’s environment friendly. CANVAS SHIELD® uses New PFOA Free DRYKON® Nanoized Polymer™ for Safe Waterproofing and Stain Resistance.
Thank You for watching our How To Video.
For more information on CANVAS SHIELD® and FABRI-KLEAN®
and to Take Advantage of our Special Waterproofing Kit Promotion.
Be sure to like us on Face Book: https://fb.com/AuroraMarineInd