Ray Derry asked:
I just bought a new pontoon boat and the pontoons are perfect and clean. Do I still need to clean them or can I just go ahead and apply Alumetron?
For your convenience, I’ve highlighted the hyperlinks in case you want more information about the products.
Definitely yes! When protecting your new aluminum pontoon boat, it’s also important to use the right cleaner; otherwise the Alumetron may not adhere properly. During manufacture, the aluminum is coated with oil and during manufacture of your boat, there can be other pollutants such as welders smut and even skin oil from handling. Then there are the pollutants that attach during transport to you. You need to degrease and clean them with a cleaner that does not leave a residue.
To clean and protect your aluminum pontoon boat, follow the procedures below:
1. Rinse the pontoon with water and then spray on Boat Clean Plus. Scrub it well with a Marine Power Mitt or soft bristle brush and rinse clean. Allow to dry thoroughly.
2. Apply 4 thin coats of Alumetron, allowing each coat to dry before applying the next.
3. Allow to cure a minimum of 96 hours.
4. Apply the Alumetron to the back of the pontoon, on a flat surface, above the waterline.
5. Apply 2 coats of VS721 to the entire pontoon, allowing 24 hours between coats. This will automatically extend the warranty from 3 years to 5 years.
This will protect your pontoons, above and below the waterline, for up to 10 years.
Be sure to go online and register your warranty.
Failure to properly clean your pontoons or use of an inferior cleaner that leaves a residue can result in delamination. Many soaps and detergents will leave soap scum. Boat Clean Plus is a free rinsing, cleaner degreaser.
See the following photos:
How to Protect your New Aluminum Pontoon Boat with Alumetron:
ALUMETRON properly applied:
The Skipper Recommends: